- The definition of career is what you do for a living and how you advance through a profession or company.
- Being a lawyer or doctor is an example of a career.
- The entire body of work done as you moved from your first position to your current one is an example of your career.
Being a doctor is an example of a career.
career definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a racing course
- Archaic a swift course, as of the sun through the sky
- one's progress through life or in one's work
- a profession or occupation which one trains for and pursues as a lifework
Origin: French carrière, road, racecourse ; from Italian carriera ; from Vulgar Latin carraria (via), carriage (road) ; from Classical Latin carrus, car
career definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A chosen pursuit; a profession or occupation.b. The general course or progression of one's working life or one's professional achievements: an officer with a distinguished career; a teacher in the midst of a long career.
- A path or course, as of the sun through the heavens.
- Speed: “My hasting days fly on with full career” (John Milton).
Origin: French carrière, from Old French, racecourse, from Old Provençal carriera, street, from Medieval Latin (via) carrāria, (road) for carts, feminine of carrārius, from Latin carrus, a Gallic type of wagon; see kers- in Indo-European roots.
career - Phrases/Idioms
in full career