Being a lawyer is this woman's profession.
- Profession means a declaration.
Tellling someone you did something wrong is an example of a profession of guilt.
- The definition of a profession is a job, or what you do for a living.
- A lawyer is an example of a profession.
- When you work as a teacher, this is an example of a situation where education is your profession.
- a professing, or declaring; avowal, whether true or pretended: a profession of sympathy
- the avowal of belief in a religion
- a faith or religion professed
- a vocation or occupation requiring advanced education and training, and involving intellectual skills, as medicine, law, theology, engineering, teaching, etc.
- the body of persons in any such calling or occupation
- loosely any occupation
- the act or ceremony of taking vows on formally entering a religious order
Origin of professionOld French ; from Classical Latin professio
the oldest profession
prostitution: a humorous or euphemistic usage
- a. An occupation or career: “One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession” (Joan Nathan).b. An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.c. The body of qualified persons in an occupation or field: members of the teaching profession.
- An act or instance of professing; a declaration.
- An avowal of faith or belief.
- A faith or belief: believers of various professions.
- A promise or vow made on entering a religious order.
- She died only a few years after her profession.
- A declaration of belief, faith or of one's opinion.
- Despite his continued professions of innocence, the court eventually sentenced him to five years.
- An occupation, trade, craft, or activity in which one has a professed expertise in a particular area; a job, especially one requiring a high level of skill or training.
- My father was a barrister by profession.
- The practitioners of such an occupation collectively.
- His conduct is against the established practices of the legal profession.