Being a lawyer is this woman's profession.
- Profession means a declaration.
Tellling someone you did something wrong is an example of a profession of guilt.
- The definition of a profession is a job, or what you do for a living.
- A lawyer is an example of a profession.
- When you work as a teacher, this is an example of a situation where education is your profession.
- a professing, or declaring; avowal, whether true or pretended: a profession of sympathy
- the avowal of belief in a religion
- a faith or religion professed
- a vocation or occupation requiring advanced education and training, and involving intellectual skills, as medicine, law, theology, engineering, teaching, etc.
- the body of persons in any such calling or occupation
- loosely any occupation
- the act or ceremony of taking vows on formally entering a religious order
Origin of professionOld French from Classical Latin professio
the oldest profession
prostitution: a humorous or euphemistic usage
- a. An occupation or career: “One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession” ( Joan Nathan )b. An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.c. The body of qualified persons in an occupation or field: members of the teaching profession.
- An act or instance of professing; a declaration.
- An avowal of faith or belief.
- A faith or belief: believers of various professions.
- A promise or vow made on entering a religious order.
- She died only a few years after her profession.
- A declaration of belief, faith or of one's opinion.
- Despite his continued professions of innocence, the court eventually sentenced him to five years.
- An occupation, trade, craft, or activity in which one has a professed expertise in a particular area; a job, especially one requiring a high level of skill or training.
- My father was a barrister by profession.
- The practitioners of such an occupation collectively.
- His conduct is against the established practices of the legal profession.