- The definition of a profession is a job, or what you do for a living.
- A lawyer is an example of a profession.
- When you work as a teacher, this is an example of a situation where education is your profession.
- Profession means a declaration.
Tellling someone you did something wrong is an example of a profession of guilt.
Being a lawyer is this woman's profession.
profession definition by Webster's New World
- a professing, or declaring; avowal, whether true or pretended: a profession of sympathy
- the avowal of belief in a religion
- a faith or religion professed
- a vocation or occupation requiring advanced education and training, and involving intellectual skills, as medicine, law, theology, engineering, teaching, etc.
- the body of persons in any such calling or occupation
- loosely any occupation
- the act or ceremony of taking vows on formally entering a religious order
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin professio
profession definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An occupation or career: “One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession” (Joan Nathan).b. An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.c. The body of qualified persons in an occupation or field: members of the teaching profession.
- An act or instance of professing; a declaration.
- An avowal of faith or belief.
- A faith or belief: believers of various professions.
profession - Business Definition
profession - Phrases/Idioms
the oldest profession