- The definition of acknowledgment is giving someone recognition for something that he did or something he gave to you.
An example of acknowledgment is giving an employee of the month award to the best performing employee.
- Acknowledgment is defined as admitting or saying that you know something, or that something is true.
An example of acknowledgment is admitting to a friend that you made a mistake.
acknowledgment definition by Webster's New World
- an acknowledging or being acknowledged; admission; avowal
- something done or given in acknowledging, as an expression of thanks
- recognition of the authority or claims of
- a legal avowal or certificate
acknowledgment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of admitting or owning to something.
- Recognition of another's existence, validity, authority, or right.
- An answer or response in return for something done.
- An expression of thanks or a token of appreciation.
- A formal declaration made to authoritative witnesses to ensure legal validity.
acknowledgment - Legal Definition
- The recognition of a fact or the existence of an obligation and the acceptance of the accompanying legal responsibility. For example, a putative father may acknowledge a child as his during a paternity proceeding.
- One’s formal declaration in the presence of a notary public or other authorized individual that she has signed a deed or other document and that the signature is authentic.