- The definition of a gift is a present or something given freely.
An example of a gift is a toy car given to a child for Christmas.
- To gift is defined as to give something without the hopes of getting anything in returning.
An example of to gift is to provide a friend with a present on Christmas.
A little girl has received a gift.
gift definition by Webster's New World
- something given to show friendship, affection, support, etc.; present
- the act, power, or right of giving
- a natural ability; talent: a gift for languages
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English portion, wedding gift (; from giefan: see give) and amp; Old Norse gift, gift (; from gefa, akin to give), akin to German gift, poison
- to present a gift to
- to present as a gift
gift definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.
- The act, right, or power of giving.
- A talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination.
- To present something as a gift to.
- To endow with.
Origin: Middle English, from Old Norse; see ghabh- in Indo-European roots.
gift - Business Definition
gift - Legal Definition
- Property given as a present.
- The action of making a present of property.
gift - Medical Definition
gift - Phrases/Idioms
look a gift horse in the mouth