- An example of endow is when a parent passes on his intelligence to his child and the child is endowed with intelligence.
- An example of endow is when you give money to a university to build a library or set up a scholarship fund.
- to provide with some talent, quality, etc.: endowed with courage
- to think of as having some quality or characteristic: to endow gods with human traits
- to give money or property so as to provide an income for the support of (a college, hospital, etc.)
- Obs. to provide with a dower
Origin of endowMiddle English endouen ; from Anglo-French endouer ; from Old French en-, in + dotare, to endow ; from dos: see dot
transitive verben·dowed, en·dow·ing, en·dows
- To provide with property, income, or a source of income.
- a. To equip or supply with a talent or quality: Nature endowed you with a beautiful singing voice.b. To imagine as having a usually favorable trait or quality: endowed the family pet with human intelligence.
- Obsolete To provide with a dower.
Origin of endowMiddle English endowen, from Anglo-Norman endouer : Old French en-, intensive pref.; see en–1 + Old French douer, to provide with a dowry (from Latin d&omacron;tare, from d&omacron;s, d&omacron;t-, dowry; see d&omacron;- in Indo-European roots).
(third-person singular simple present endows, present participle endowing, simple past and past participle endowed)
- To furnish with money or its equivalent, as a permanent fund for support; to make pecuniary provision for; to settle an income upon; especially, to furnish with dower; as, to endow a wife; to endow a public institution.
- To enrich or furnish with anything of the nature of a gift (as a quality or faculty); — followed by with, rarely by of; as, man is endowed by his Maker with reason; to endow with privileges or benefits.
- To bestow freely.
- To be furnished with something naturally.
- She was endowed with a beautiful voice.
From Middle English endowen, from Anglo-Norman endover, en- + Old French douer (from Latin dōtāre (“to endow”), from dōs, dōtis ("dowry")).