- used; secondhand
- ready-made and cheap
hand me downhand-me-down
The definition of a hand me down is something you inherit from someone else after they no longer need or want it.
An example of a hand me down is the clothing your older sibling wore that you have been given to wear.
something, esp. an article of clothing, which is used and then passed along to someone else, as to a younger sibling
- Handed down to one person after being used and discarded by another.
- Of inferior quality; shabby.
Something, such as an article of clothing, that is passed on from one person to another.
- Used or second-hand, passed along by its prior user
- Hand-me-down, second-hand, and consignment store clothing in good condition are excellent options for babies, especially for that special outfit to be worn on a holiday or to a special occasion such as a wedding.
- This is not a hand-me-down sweater of a film; this is a brand new, hand-sewn garment made from the most expensive fabrics and carefully designed to be a one-of-a-kind style worn with class.
- He tried to get his father to allow him to take a jazzercise class instead of being subjected to both being the worst on the team and wearing hand-me-down Speedos from his brother, Rodrick.
- This is not a hand-me-down jacket unless you are giving it to another FFA member; the uniform is meant only for those who are part of the national organization.
- If you are dealing with a hand-me-down jacket for hunting, and the sleeves are far too big, consider cutting them off at the shoulders to create a vest.