- the act or an instance of denying; negative answer; denial
- the lack or opposite of some positive character or quality: death is the negation of life
- something negative; nonentity
Origin of negationfrom French or L: French négation from Classical Latin negatio from negatus, past participle of negare, to deny from neg(i)- from ne- (see no) + an unverified form -g(h)- from Indo-European an unverified form ?(h)i, intensive particle used after negation
- The act or process of negating.
- A denial, contradiction, or negative statement.
- The opposite or absence of something regarded as actual, positive, or affirmative.
(countable and uncountable, plural negations)
- (uncountable) The act of negating something.
- (countable) A denial or contradiction.
- (logic, countable) A proposition which is the contradictory of another proposition and which can be obtained from that other proposition by the appropriately placed addition/insertion of the word "not". (Or, in symbolic logic, by prepending that proposition with the symbol for the logical operator "not".)
- (logic) The logical operation which obtains such (negated) propositions.