negation definition by Webster's New World
- the act or an instance of denying; negative answer; denial
- the lack or opposite of some positive character or quality: death is the negation of life
- something negative; nonentity
Origin: ; from French or L: French négation ; from Classical Latin negatio ; from negatus, past participle of negare, to deny ; from neg(i)- ; from ne- (see no) plush an unverified form -g(h)- ; from Indo-European an unverified form ĝ(h)i, intensive particle used after negation
- negational adjective
negation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of negating.
- A denial, contradiction, or negative statement.
- The opposite or absence of something regarded as actual, positive, or affirmative.
- ne·gaˈtion·al adjective
negation - Medical Definition