- the act or an instance of denying; negative answer; denial
- the lack or opposite of some positive character or quality: death is the negation of life
- something negative; nonentity
Origin: < Fr or L: Fr négation < L negatio < negatus, pp. of negare, to deny < neg(i)- < ne- (see no) + *-g(h)- < IE *ĝ(h)i, intens. particle used after negation
- negational adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act or process of negating.
- A denial, contradiction, or negative statement.
- The opposite or absence of something regarded as actual, positive, or affirmative.
- ne·gaˈtion·al adjective
negation - Medical Definition