- The definition of contradictory is things that cannot both be true, or that are at odds with each other so that if one is correct, the other is not.
When you believe the answer is yes and someone else believes the answer is no, this is an example of a situation where you have contradictory opinions.
- involving a contradiction; inconsistentalso contradictive
- inclined to contradict or deny
Origin of contradictoryMiddle English contradictorie ; from Late Latin contradictorius
- something that contradicts; an opposite
- Logic either of two proportions so related that only one can be true and, likewise, only one can be false
- Involving, of the nature of, or being a contradiction: contradictory reports about the vaccine's effectiveness. See Synonyms at opposite.
- Given to contradicting: The contradictory council members often ended up squabbling.
nounpl. con·tra·dic·to·ries Logic
(comparative more contradictory, superlative most contradictory)