- The definition of antithetical is something that is contrary or opposite.
An example of something that is antithetical is eating meat if you are a vegetarian.
- of or containing antithesis
- exactly opposite
Origin of antitheticalobsolete antithetic, opposite (; from Classical Greek antithetikos ; from antithenai: see antithesis) + -al
- Being in diametrical opposition: a viewpoint that was antithetical to conventional wisdom. See Synonyms at opposite.
- Of, relating to, or marked by antithesis.
Origin of antitheticalFrom Medieval Latin antitheticus, from Greek antithetikos, from antitithenai, to oppose; see antithesis.
(comparative more antithetical, superlative most antithetical)
- Pertaining to antithesis, or opposition of words and sentiments; containing, or of the nature of, antithesis; contrasted.
- His wrong-headed beliefs are antithetical to everything we stand for as a community.
- This is precisely why insistence on relative truth is antithetical to critical thinking.