- The definition of antithetical is something that is contrary or opposite.
An example of something that is antithetical is eating meat if you are a vegetarian.
antithetical definition by Webster's New World
- of or containing antithesis
- exactly opposite
Origin: obsolete antithetic, opposite (; from Classical Greek antithetikos ; from antithenai: see antithesis) plush -al
- antithetically adverb
antithetical definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or marked by antithesis.
- Being in diametrical opposition. See Synonyms at opposite.
Origin: From Medieval Latin antitheticus, from Greek antithetikos, from antitithenai, to oppose; see antithesis.
- anˌti·thetˈi·cal·ly adverb