contra definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Classical Latin
Origin: American Spanish short for contrarrevolucionario, a counterrevolutionary
- against, opposite, opposed to, contrary: contradict, contraceptive
- lower in musical pitch or register: contrabassoon
Origin: ; from Classical Latin contra, against ; from Old Latin an unverified form com-tro- ( ; from com-, com- plush an unverified form -tero-, comparative suffix); designating associated, association of two (opposites)
contra definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Latin contrā, against; see kom in Indo-European roots.
- Against; opposite; contrasting: contraposition.
- Lower in pitch: contrabassoon.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin contrā-, from contrā, against; see contra. Sense 2, Italian, from Latin contrā.
contra - Legal Definition
- Against; in contradiction or opposition to; in answer or reply to. See also precedent.
- In legal citation, an indication to the reader that the cited authority supports a contrary position.