A medical team performs an operation.
- An example of an operation is how a light switch turns on and off.
- An example of an operation is someone getting their appendix taken out.
The definition of an operation is the process of working or functioning, or a surgical procedure.
- the act, process, or method of operating
- the condition of being in action or at work
- a process or action that is part of a series in some work
- any movement or series of movements made in carrying out strategic military plans
- a center where such activities are monitored or supervised, as at an air base
- any specific plan, project, venture, etc.: Operation Cleanup
- any surgical procedure performed, usually with the aid of instruments, to remedy a physical ailment or defect
- Math. any process, as addition, division, etc., involving a change or transformation in a quantity
Origin of operationMiddle English operacion ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin operatio
- in the act or process of making, working, etc.
- having an influence or effect; in force
- The act or process of operating or functioning.
- The state of being operative or functional: a factory in operation.
- A process or series of acts involved in a particular form of work: the operation of building a house.
- An instance or method of efficient, productive activity: That restaurant is quite an operation.
- An unethical or illegal business: a fencing operation for stolen goods.
- Medicine A surgical procedure for remedying an injury, ailment, defect, or dysfunction.
- Mathematics A process or action, such as addition, substitution, transposition, or differentiation, performed in a specified sequence and in accordance with specific rules.
- A logical operation.
- Computers An action resulting from a single instruction.
- a. A military or naval action, campaign, or mission.b. operations The headquarters or center from which a military action, flights into and out of an airfield, or other activities are controlled.
- operations The division of an organization that carries out the major planning and operating functions.
- The method by which a device performs its function.
- It is dangerous to look at the beam of a laser while it is in operation.
- The method or practice by which actions are done.
- The act or process of operating; agency; the exertion of power, physical, mechanical, or moral.
- A planned undertaking.
- The police ran an operation to get vagrants off the streets.
- The Katrina relief operation was considered botched.
- A business or organization.
- We run our operation from a storefront.
- They run a multinational produce-supply operation.
- (medicine) a surgical procedure.
- She had an operation to remove her appendix.
- (mathematics) a procedure for generating a value from one or more other values (the operands).
- (military) a military campaign (e.g. Operation Desert Storm)