- The definition of procedure is order of the steps to be taken to make something happen, or how something is done.
An example of a procedure is cracking eggs into a bowl and beating them before scrambling them in a pan.
procedure definition by Webster's New World
- the act, method, or manner of proceeding in some action; esp., the sequence of steps to be followed
- a particular course of action or way of doing something
- the established way of carrying on the business of a legislature, law court, etc.
Origin: French procédure ; from Middle French ; from proceder: see proceed
procedure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A manner of proceeding; a way of performing or effecting something: standard procedure.
- A series of steps taken to accomplish an end: a medical procedure; evacuation procedures.
- A set of established forms or methods for conducting the affairs of an organized body such as a business, club, or government.
- Computer Science A set of instructions that performs a specific task; a subroutine or function.
Origin: French procédure, from Old French, from proceder, to proceed; see proceed.
procedure - Computer Definition
Synonymous with routine. See also routine.
(1) Manual procedures are human tasks.
(2) Machine procedures are lists of programs or operating system functions to be executed. A mainframe uses job control language (JCL). Unix systems use shell scripts. Windows machines use batch files.
(3) In programming, a procedure is another term for a subroutine or function.
procedure - Legal Definition
procedure - Medical Definition
- A series of steps taken to accomplish an end.
- A surgical operation or technique.