procedure[prō sē′jər, prə-]
- The definition of procedure is order of the steps to be taken to make something happen, or how something is done.
An example of a procedure is cracking eggs into a bowl and beating them before scrambling them in a pan.
- the act, method, or manner of proceeding in some action; esp., the sequence of steps to be followed
- a particular course of action or way of doing something
- the established way of carrying on the business of a legislature, law court, etc.
Origin of procedureFrench procédure ; from Middle French ; from proceder: see proceed
- A manner of proceeding; a way of performing or effecting something: standard procedure.
- a. A series of steps taken to accomplish an end: a medical procedure; evacuation procedures.b. Computers A set of instructions that performs a specific task; a subroutine or function.
- a. A set of established forms or methods for conducting the affairs of an organized body such as a business, club, or government.b. Law The set of rules under which litigation is conducted, especially in contrast to the set of substantive legal principles that determine the merits of legal controversies and disputes.
Origin of procedureFrench procédure, from Old French, from proceder, to proceed; see proceed.
(countable and uncountable, plural procedures)
- A particular method for performing a task.
- A series of small tasks or steps taken to accomplish an end.
- (uncountable) The set of established forms or methods of an organized body for accomplishing a certain task or tasks.
- Ensure that you follow procedure when accessing customers' personal information.
- The steps taken in an action or other legal proceeding.
- Gracious procedures. —I. Taylor.
- (computing) A subroutine or function coded to perform a specific task.
procedure - Computer Definition
Synonymous with routine. See also routine.
(1) Manual procedures are human tasks.
(2) Machine procedures are lists of programs or operating system functions to be executed. A mainframe uses job control language (JCL). Unix systems use shell scripts. Windows machines use batch files.
(3) In programming, a procedure is another term for a subroutine or function.
procedure - Legal Definition