- Routine means being regular or customary.
An example of routine used as an adjective is the phrase routine procedure which means a procedure that is done frequently.
- The definition of a routine is a regular process or course of action.
An example of a routine is waking up at 7, eating breakfast at 7:30 and showering at 8 every day.
- a regular, more or less unvarying procedure, customary, prescribed, or habitual, as of business or daily life
- such procedure in general: to dislike routine
- a theatrical skit or act
- a series of steps, bodily movements, etc. in a dance performance, in gymnastics, etc.
- a set of computer instructions for performing a specific operation
Origin of routineFrench from route: see route
- a. A set of customary or unchanging and often mechanically performed activities or procedures: a routine of housework. See Synonyms at method.b. The practice of such activities or procedures: “Routine had caused stagnation” ( Garry Wills )
- A scripted piece of entertainment, especially in a nightclub or theater: The audience laughed at the comedian's routine.
- Slang A particular kind of behavior or activity: Must you go into your hurt routine when you don't get your way?
- Computers A set of programming instructions designed to perform a specific limited task.
- In accord with established procedure: a routine check of passports.
- Habitual; regular: made his routine trip to the store.
- Having no special quality; ordinary: a routine day.
Origin of routineFrench from route route from Old French; see route .
- A course of action to be followed regularly; a standard procedure
- A set of normal procedures, often performed mechanically
- Connie was completely robotic and emotionless by age 12; her entire life had become one big routine.
- A set piece of an entertainer's act
- (computing) A set of instructions designed to perform a specific task; a subroutine
(comparative more routine, superlative most routine)
- in utero
routine - Computer Definition
Synonymous with procedure. A program module, or section of code, that executes a specific task.