- The definition of periodic is something that is recurring at regular intervals, or happens from time to time.
- An example of periodic is a person's birthday happening once each year.
- An example of periodic is a person going to their favorite restaurant every once in awhile.
- occurring, appearing, or recurring at regular intervals: a periodic fever
- occurring from time to time; intermittent
- of or characterized by periods: the periodic motion of a planet
- of, characterized by, or expressed in periodic sentences
Origin of periodicMiddle French periodique ; from Classical Latin periodicus ; from Classical Greek periodikos
- Having or marked by repeated cycles: periodic oscillations.
- Happening or appearing regularly or from time to time: periodic dental checkups; periodic rain showers.
- Characterized by periodic sentences.
- Relative to a period or periods.
- Having repeated cycles.
- Occurring at regular intervals.
- (astronomy) Pertaining to the revolution of a celestial object in its orbit.
- (mathematics, stochastic processes, of a state) for which any return to it must occur in multiples of time steps, for some .
- (rhetoric) Having a structure characterized by periodic sentences.
- (chemistry) Relating to, derived from, or designating, the highest oxygen acid (HIO) of iodine.
From French pÃ©riodique, from Medieval Latin periodicus (â€œcyclicalâ€), from Latin periodus (â€œcomplete sentence, period, circuitâ€), from Ancient Greek Ï€ÎµÏÎ¯Î¿Î´Î¿Ï‚ (periodos, â€œcycle, period of timeâ€).