occasional[ə kā′z̸hə nəl, ō-]
- occurring on a particular occasion
- of or for a special occasion: occasional verse
- acting only on special occasions
- of irregular occurrence; happening now and then; infrequent
- designating chairs, tables, etc. intended for occasional or auxiliary use
- being an occasion ()
- Occurring, encountered, done, or taken from time to time; irregular or infrequent. See Synonyms at periodic.
- Created for a special occasion: occasional verse.
- Intended for use as the occasion requires: an occasional chair.
- Being a factor that makes something possible; being a cause of something.
- Acting in a specified capacity from time to time: an occasional hunter.
- Occurring or appearing irregularly from time to time.
- He was mostly solitary, but enjoyed the occasional visitor.
- Not very often.
- He took an occasional glass of wine.
- Created for a specific occasion.
- Elgar's music was not created to be occasional music for high-school graduations.
- Intended for use as the occasion requires.
- What your living room needs are some occasional chairs.
- Acting in the indicated role from time to time.
- He is an occasional contributor to letters to the editor.