occasional[ə kā′z̸hə nəl, ō-]
- occurring on a particular occasion
- of or for a special occasion: occasional verse
- acting only on special occasions
- of irregular occurrence; happening now and then; infrequent
- designating chairs, tables, etc. intended for occasional or auxiliary use
- being an occasion ()
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Occurring from time to time. See Synonyms at periodic.b. Not habitual; infrequent: took an occasional glass of wine.
- Created for a special occasion: occasional verse.
- Intended for use as the occasion requires: an occasional chair.
- Acting as a cause.
- Acting in a specified capacity from time to time: an occasional hunter.