- The definition of intermittent is something that starts and stops or happens irregularly.
An example of intermittent is occasional thunder during a rainstorm.
intermittent definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Classical Latin intermittens, present participle of intermittere: see intermit
intermittent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Stopping and starting at intervals. See Synonyms at periodic.
- Alternately containing and empty of water: an intermittent lake.
- inˌter·mitˈtence noun
- inˌter·mitˈtent·ly adverb
intermittent - Medical Definition
- Stopping and starting at intervals.
- Marked by intervals of complete quietude occurring between two periods of activity.
- intermittence noun