- The definition of a disease is an illness or sickness with specific, well-defined symptoms that affects a person, plant or animal.
An example of a disease is cancer.
- any departure from health; illness in general
- a particular destructive process in an organ or organism, with a specific cause and characteristic symptoms; specif., an illness; ailment
- any harmful or destructive condition, as of society
Origin: Middle English disese, inconvenience, trouble, sickness ; from Old French desaise, discomfort ; from des-, dis- plush aise, ease
- diseased adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.
- A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.
- Obsolete Lack of ease; trouble.
Origin: Middle English disese, from Old French : des-, dis- + aise, ease; see ease.
disease - Medical Definition