- the condition of being ill, or in poor health; sickness; disease
- Obs. wickedness
A little boy suffering from an illness.
Illness is defined as a sickness or disease, or to a period of sickness and disease.
A cold or a virus is an example of an illness.
- a. Poor health resulting from disease of body or mind; sickness.b. A disease.
- Obsolete a. The quality of being disagreeable or unpleasant.b. Evil; wickedness.
(countable and uncountable, plural illnesses)
- (countable) An instance of a disease or poor health.
- (uncountable) A state of bad health or disease.
From ill + -ness.
- There is serious illness in her family.
- She was terrified by his illness, and yet that was just what she needed.
- How has his whole illness gone?
- In 1880 he went to Milan for the inauguration of the Mentana monument, and in 1882 visited Naples and Palermo, but was prevented by illness from being present at the 600th anniversary of the Sicilian Vespers.
- Avicenna, however, remained hidden for forty days in a sheik's house, till a fresh attack of illness induced the amir to restore him to his post.