When you go to a nursing home for a period of rest and rehab after you have suffered from a stroke, this time spent in the nursing home is an example of a convalescence.
- gradual recovery after illness
- the period of such recovery
Origin of convalescenceFrench ; from Classical Latin convalescens, present participle of convalesce
- Gradual return to health and strength after illness.
- The period needed for returning to health after illness.
- A gradual healing after illness or injury.
- The period of time spent for healing.
From Middle French convalescence, from Late Latin convalēscentia (“regaining of health”), from Latin convalēscō (“regain health, grow strong”).