- limitation; restriction; restraint
- Old-fashioned childbirth; lying-in
The definition of confinement is the action or state of being contained or kept in a place or situation.
When you are trapped in your home and not able to leave, this is an example of confinement.
a confining or being confined; specif.,
- The act of confining or the state of being confined.
- His confinement was strict and injured his health, but he was allowed the use of books.
- When her confinement is due, send to Moscow for an accoucheur....
- At a later period he was released from close confinement and allowed to settle in Mexico, where a pension was given him.
- The offender, whether simoniacus (one who had bought his orders) or simoniace promotus (one who had bought his promotion), was liable to deprivation of his benefice and deposition from orders if a secular priest, - to confinement in a stricter monastery if a regular.
- He was kept in confinement a fortnight, and was then packed off to England in accordance with his own request.