independence[in′dē pen′dəns, -di-]
- The definition of independence is freedom or control from the influence of others.
When kids grow up and move out and start making their own decisions, this is an example ofindependence.
- the state or quality of being independent; freedom from the influence, control, or determination of another or others
- Now Rare an income sufficient for a livelihood
Origin of independenceMedieval Latin independentia
city in W Mo.: suburb of Kansas City: pop. 113,000
Origin of Independencein honor of Andrew Jackson in allusion to his independence of character
- The state or quality of being independent.
- Archaic Sufficient income for comfortable self-support; a competence.
A city of western Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City. It was a starting point for the Santa Fe and Oregon Trails during the 1800s.
From French indépendance