- The definition of independence is freedom or control from the influence of others.
When kids grow up and move out and start making their own decisions, this is an example ofindependence.
independence definition by Webster's New World
- the state or quality of being independent; freedom from the influence, control, or determination of another or others
- Now Rare an income sufficient for a livelihood
Origin: Midieval Latin independentia
Origin: in honor of Andrew Jackson in allusion to his independence of character
independence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state or quality of being independent.
- Archaic Sufficient income for comfortable self-support; a competence.
independence - Cultural Definition
City in western Missouri.
- Beginning of the Santa Fe Trail, used by settlers moving west.