- Self determination is defined as the personal decision to do something or think a certain way.
An example of self determination is making the decision to run a marathon without asking anyone's opinion.
self-determination definition by Webster's New World
- the act or power of making up one's own mind about what to think or do, without outside influence or compulsion
- the right of a people to decide upon its own political status or form of government, without outside influence
self-determination definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
- Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.
- selfˌ-de·terˈmined adjective
- selfˌ-de·terˈmin·ing adjective & n.