- the act or power of making up one's own mind about what to think or do, without outside influence or compulsion
- the right of a people to decide upon its own political status or form of government, without outside influence
Clarence has extraordinary self determination in his endeavor to restore his mobility after his stroke.
An example of self determination is making the decision to run a marathon without asking anyone's opinion.
- Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
- Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.
self- +"Ž determination
- Self-determination or Kujichagulia (koo-gee-cha-goo-LEE-yah): The decisions a person makes must not only benefit the individual, but must also be in the best interests of his or her family and the community as a whole.
- The purpose of these principles is to unite African communities through self-determination within a multicultural context.
- The supreme end prescribed by reason in its practical aspect, namely, the complete subordination of the empirical side of nature to the prescripts of morality, demands, as conditions of its possible realization, the permanence of ethical progress in the moral agent, the certainty of freedom in self-determination, and the necessary harmonizing of the spheres of sense and reason through the intelligent author or ground of both.
- We may notice, in the first place, that the conception of morality as a code which, if not in itself arbitrary, is yet to be accepted by men with unquestioning submission, tends naturally to bring into prominence the virtue of obedience to authority; just as the philosophic view of goodness as the realization of reason gives a special value to self-determination and independence (as we see more clearly in the post-Aristotelian schools where ethics is distinctly separated from politics).
- 1 Hussarek again gave the Reichsrat a chance; he recognized expressly the right of the peoples to free self-determination, adopted the standpoint of national autonomy, championed Polish independence, and announced the union of all the Southern Sla y s of Austria by constitutional means.