- When women are not allowed by men in society to be equals and are kept in a state of forced subjugation, this is an example of repression.
- When someone does not remembers a painful time in their early childhood, this is an example of repression.
Repression is defined as controlling or limiting someone or something by force or by exercise of authority, or the unconscious exclusion of thoughts from the mind.
- a repressing or being repressed
- the mechanism by which ideas, impulses, etc. are repressed
- something repressed in this way
Origin of repressionMiddle English repressioun from Medieval Latin repressio
- The act of repressing or the state of being repressed.
- Psychology The unconscious exclusion of painful impulses, desires, or fears from the conscious mind.