- a jacketlike device with sleeves that bind the arms tight against the body: used, as in a psychiatric ward, to restrain persons in a violent state
- anything that confines or limits
- A long-sleeved jacketlike garment used to bind the arms tightly against the body as a means of restraining a violent patient or prisoner.
- Something that restricts, hinders, or confines: the straitjacket of bureaucratic paperwork.
transitive verbstrait·jack·et·ed, strait·jack·et·ing, strait·jack·ets, also straight·jack·et·ed or straight·jack·et·ing or straight·jack·ets
- A jacket-like garment with very long sleeves which can be secured in place, thus preventing the wearer from moving his or her arms. Often used in psychiatric hospitals to prevent patients from injuring themselves or others.
- A metaphor used to describe a range of situations seen as (unpleasantly?) confining or restricting.
(third-person singular simple present straitjackets, present participle straitjacketing, simple past and past participle straitjacketed)