- The definition of spasmodic is something relating to a spasm or a sudden movement.
An example of spasmodic is a dog that has epileptic seizures.
- of, having the nature of, like, or characterized by a spasm or spasms; sudden, violent, and temporary; fitful; intermittent
- Rare highly emotional or excitable
Origin of spasmodicModern Latin spasmodicus ; from Classical Greek spasodēs ; from spasmos: see spasm and amp; -oid
- Relating to, affected by, or having the character of a spasm; convulsive.
- Happening intermittently; fitful: spasmodic rifle fire.
- Given to sudden outbursts of energy or feeling; excitable.
Origin of spasmodicNew Latin spasmōdicus, from Greek spasmōdēs, from spasmos, spasm; see spasm.
(comparative more spasmodic, superlative most spasmodic)
From New Latin spasmodicus, from Ancient Greek σπασμώδης (spasmōdēs, “spasmodic”), from σπασμός (spasmos, “spasm”).