- of or relating to a function or functions
- performing or able to perform a function
- useful or intended to be useful
- Med. affecting a function of some organ without apparent structural or organic changes: a functional disease
The definition of functional is something that is useful for its intended purpose.
A saw that works to cut things is an example of a functional saw.
- a. Of or relating to a function.b. Of, relating to, or indicating a mathematical function or functions.
- Designed for or adapted to a particular function or use: functional architecture.
- a. Capable of performing a function; operative: a functional set of brakes.b. Able to function personally or socially despite limitations or impairment: a functional alcoholic.
- Medicine Involving physiological function rather than anatomical structure.
A linear function on vectors whose values are scalars.
(comparative more functional, superlative most functional)
- In good working order.
- Useful; serving a purpose, fulfilling a function
- That sculpture is not merely artistic, but also functional: it can be used as a hatrack.
- Only for functional purposes, notably in architecture
- A functional construction element generally must meet higher technical but lower aesthetical requirements
- (computing theory) Having semantics defined purely in terms of mathematical functions, without side-effects.
- (medicine) Of a disease, such that its symptoms cannot be referred to any appreciable lesion or change of structure; opposed to organic disease, in which the organ itself is affected.
- (mathematics) A function that takes a function as its argument; More precisely: A function y=f(x) whose argument x varies in a space of (real valued, complex valued) functions and whose value belongs to a monodimensional space. An example: the definite integration of integrable real functions in a real interval.
- (mathematics, functional analysis) A scalar-valued linear function on a vector space
- (computing) An object encapsulating a function pointer (equivalent).
function + -al
- The first step consists in the functional treatment of equations.
- For me everything is functional, but you have style.
- With ten functional remiges.
- The bodywall is greatly simplified in the Gymnolaemata, in correlation with the functional importance of the skeletal part of the wall.
- That's not the way a functional relationship works, she said, anger building.