- The definition of functional is something that is useful for its intended purpose.
A saw that works to cut things is an example of a functional saw.
functional definition by Webster's New World
- of or relating to a function or functions
- performing or able to perform a function
- useful or intended to be useful
- Med. affecting a function of some organ without apparent structural or organic changes: a functional disease
functional definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. Of or relating to a function.b. Of, relating to, or indicating a mathematical function or functions.
- Designed for or adapted to a particular function or use: functional architecture.
- Capable of performing; operative: a functional set of brakes.
- Pathology Involving functions rather than a physiological or structural cause.
A linear function on vectors whose values are scalars.
- funcˈtion·al·ly adverb
functional - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of or relating to a function.
- Affecting the physiological function but not the structure.
functional - Science Definition
Affecting bodily functions but not organic structure, as a disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome. Compare organic.