The definition of mundane is someone or something that is typical or ordinary.adjective
- An example of mundane is having a front lawn.
- An example of mundane is working a nine to five job.
- of the world; esp., worldly, as distinguished from heavenly, spiritual, etc.
- commonplace, everyday, ordinary, etc.
Origin: LME mondeyne < OFr mondain < LL mundanus < L mundus, world (in LL(Ec), the secular world, as opposed to the church)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or typical of this world; secular.
- Relating to, characteristic of, or concerned with commonplaces; ordinary.
Origin: Middle English mondeine, from Old French mondain, from Latin mundānus, from mundus, world.
- mun·daneˈly adverb
- mun·daneˈness, mun·danˈi·ty noun