- The definition of prosaic is something boring, ordinary or common.
An example of prosaic is shopping for groceries or running errands.
prosaic definition by Webster's New World
- of or like prose rather than poetry; often, specif., heavy, flat, unimaginative, etc.
- commonplace, dull and ordinary: prosaic details of everyday life
Origin: Late Latin prosaicus ; from Classical Latin prosa, prose
prosaic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Consisting or characteristic of prose.b. Matter-of-fact; straightforward.
- Lacking in imagination and spirit; dull.
Origin: Late Latin prōsaicus, from Latin prōsa, prose; see prose.
- pro·saˈi·cal·ly adverb
- pro·saˈic·ness noun