- The definition of monotonous is having little or no variety.
An example of monotonous is the science teacher's voice in "The Wonder Years."
monotonous definition by Webster's New World
- going on in the same tone without variation
- having little or no variation or variety
- tiresome because unvarying
Origin: Late Latin monotonus ; from Classical Greek monotonos: mono- and amp; tone
monotonous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Sounded or spoken in an unvarying tone.
- Tediously repetitious or lacking in variety. See Synonyms at boring.
Origin: From Greek monotonos : mono-, mono- + tonos, tone; see tone.
- mo·notˈo·nous·ly adverb
- mo·notˈo·nous·ness noun