The definition of monotonous is having little or no variety.adjective
An example of monotonous is the science teacher's voice in "The Wonder Years."YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- going on in the same tone without variation
- having little or no variation or variety
- tiresome because unvarying
Origin: LL monotonus < Gr monotonos: mono- & tone
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sounded or spoken in an unvarying tone.
- Tediously repetitious or lacking in variety. See Synonyms at boring.
Origin: From Greek monotonos : mono-, mono- + tonos, tone; see tone.
- mo·notˈo·nous·ly adverb
- mo·notˈo·nous·ness noun