monotonous[mə nät′'n əs]
- The definition of monotonous is having little or no variety.
An example of monotonous is the science teacher's voice in "The Wonder Years."
- going on in the same tone without variation
- having little or no variation or variety
- tiresome because unvarying
Origin of monotonousLate Latin monotonus ; from Classical Greek monotonos: mono- and amp; tone
- Sounded or spoken in an unvarying tone: a monotonous droning voice.
- Tediously repetitious or lacking in variety. See Synonyms at boring.
Origin of monotonousFrom Greek monotonos : mono-, mono- + tonos, tone; see tone.
(comparative more monotonous, superlative most monotonous)