Varied tennis shoes.
- The definition of varied is changed, or of different types, kinds and colors.
An example of something varied is a shoe available in white, black, gray, tan and brown; varied color choices.
- of different kinds; various
- showing different colors; variegated
- changed; altered
- Having or consisting of various kinds or forms; diverse: a person with varied talents. See Synonyms at miscellaneous.
- Characterized by variety or variation: sailed at a varied pace; a varied landscape.
- Varicolored or variegated.
- Simple past tense and past participle of vary.
Variant of vary
transitive verbvaried, varying
- to change in form, appearance, nature, substance, etc.; alter; modify
- to make different from one another
- to give variety to; diversify: to vary one's reading
- Music to repeat (a theme or idea) with changes in harmony, rhythm, key, etc.
Origin of varyMiddle English varien ; from Old French varier ; from Classical Latin variare, to vary, change ; from varius, various, probably ; from Indo-European base an unverified form wa-, to bend, turn from source vacillate
- to undergo change in any way; become different
- to be different or diverse; differ: varying opinions
- to deviate, diverge, or depart (from)
- Biol. to show variation