- joined or mingled in a single mass or compound; blended
- made up of different or incongruous parts, groups, elements, classes, races, etc.
- consisting of or involving both sexes: a mixed doubles match in tennis, a joke unsuitable for mixed company
- characterized by or consisting of both positive and negative features, judgments, etc.: critical response to the movie was mixed; winning the lottery may be a mixed blessing
- confused; muddled
- Phonet. central: said of a vowel
Origin of mixedearlier mixt: see mix