- by oneself; alone; solitary
- Rare lonesome
- Rare unmarried or widowed
- standing apart from others of its kind; isolated
- Old Poet. unfrequented: said of places
Origin: ME, aphetic from alone
- loneness noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Without accompaniment; solitary: a lone skier on the mountain.b. Without companionship; isolated or lonely.
- Being the only one; sole: the lone doctor in the county.
- Situated by itself: a lone tree on the prairie; a lone blue tile in a white floor.
Origin: Middle English, short for alone; see alone.