- The definition of unique is one of a kind.
An example of unique is a necklace with a personalized message on the charm.
- one and only; single; sole: a unique specimen
- having no like or equal; unparalleled: a unique achievement
- highly unusual, extraordinary, rare, etc.: a common usage still objected to by some
Origin of uniqueFrench ; from Classical Latin unicus, single ; from unus, one
- Being the only one of its kind: the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting.
- Characteristic only of a particular category or entity: a weather pattern that is unique to coastal areas.
- Remarkable; extraordinary: a unique opportunity to buy a house.
Origin of uniqueFrench, from Old French, from Latin ūnicus; see oi-no- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more unique, superlative most unique)
- A thing without a like; something unequalled or unparallelled.
From French unique.