- The definition of alone is entirely separated from others.
A person walking down an abandoned alley way is an example of someone who is alone.
A woman walks alone in a park.
alone definition by Webster's New World
- apart from anything or anyone else: the hut stood alone on the prairie
- without involving any other person: to walk alone
- without anything further; with nothing more; only: the carton alone weighs two pounds
- without equal or peer: to stand alone as an example of courage
Origin: Middle English ; from al, all plush one, one
alone definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Being apart from others; solitary.
- Being without anyone or anything else; only.
- Considered separately from all others of the same class.
- Being without equal; unique.
- Without others: sang alone while the choir listened.
- Without help: carried the suitcases alone.
- Exclusively; only: The burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone.
Origin: Middle English : al, all; see all + one, one; see one.
- a·loneˈness noun
alone - Phrases/Idioms
- to refrain from bothering or interfering withalso leave alone
- not to speak of we hadn't a dime, let alone a dollar
let well enough alone