- Solo is defined as something done alone without accompaniment.
If you go to a party alone, this is an example of when you go solo.
- The definition of solo is alone or done by just one person.
When a singer sings alone on stage, this is an example of a solo.
- Solo is defined as to fly alone, sing alone or do something alone.
When you fly an airplane all by yourself with no copilot, this is an example of a time when you solo.
- a musical piece or passage played or sung by one person, with or without accompaniment
- a performance of such a piece or passage
- a dance, pantomime, etc., for performance by one person
- an airplane flight made by a pilot alone, without an assistant, instructor, etc.
- any performance by one person alone
- any of several card games in which each person plays, or a person may choose to play, alone against the others, without a partner
Origin: It from Classical Latin solus, alone, sole
- designed for or performed by a single voice, person, or instrument
- performing a solo
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. so·los
- Music A composition or passage for an individual voice or instrument, with or without accompaniment.
- A performance by a single singer or instrumentalist.
- Games Any of various card games in which one player singly opposes others.
- Music Composed, arranged for, or performed by a single voice or instrument.
- Made or done by a single individual.
- To perform a solo.
- To fly an airplane without a companion or an instructor, especially for the first time.
Origin: Italian, from Latin sōlus, alone; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.