A man walks down a lonely road.
- An example of lonely is being alone at home and wishing you had a date, a lonely time.
- An example of lonely is a cabin with no neighbors for miles, a lonely cabin.
The definition of lonely is being alone and unhappy at being alone, or not near other people.
- alone; solitary
- standing apart from others of its kind; isolated
- unfrequented or uninhabited
- unhappy at being alone; longing for friends, company, etc.
- causing such a feeling
- a. Dejected by the awareness of being alone. See Synonyms at alone.b. Producing such dejection: the loneliest night of the week.
- Without others of a similar kind; lone; solitary: “a lonely band of lawyers up against the might of the American legal establishment” ( Nick Kotz )
- Unfrequented by people; desolate: a lonely crossroads.
(comparative lonelier, superlative loneliest)