- The definition of lonely is being alone and unhappy at being alone, or not near other people.
- An example of lonely is being alone at home and wishing you had a date, a lonely time.
- An example of lonely is a cabin with no neighbors for miles, a lonely cabin.
A man walks down a lonely road.
lonely definition by Webster's New World
lonely definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective lone·li·er, lone·li·est
- a. Without companions; lone.b. Characterized by aloneness; solitary.
- Unfrequented by people; desolate: a lonely crossroads.
- a. Dejected by the awareness of being alone. See Synonyms at alone.b. Producing such dejection: the loneliest night of the week.
- loneˈli·ly adverb
- loneˈli·ness noun