One mans desolation.
Desolation is defined as the state of being uninhabited, lonely or dreary.
An example of desolation is the situation of a person who is lost in a desert.
- a making desolate; laying waste
- a desolate condition
- lonely grief; misery
- a desolate place
Origin of desolationMiddle English desolacioun from Old French desolation from Ecclesiastical Late Latin desolatio
- The act or an instance of desolating.
- The state of being desolate.
- Devastation; ruin: a drought that brought desolation to the region.
- a. The state of being abandoned or forsaken; loneliness: a sense of utter desolation following the death of his parents.b. Wretchedness; misery.
OriginSee also: désolation
From Old French desolacion, from Latin dēsōlātiō.