Examples of periodic sentences include:
- In spite of heavy snow and cold temperatures, the game continued.
- With low taxes, beautiful views and a mild climate, this city is a great place to live.
- Positive thinking, by helping us stay focused and maintaining a good attitude, is important for a happy life.
- Because of adding a pool, spa and restaurant, the hotel is experiencing an increase in guests.
- Presenting, the winner of seven Academy Awards and two Tony Awards, I present the star of tonight's play, Herbert Smith.
- After shopping at the mall, walking the dogs and washing the car, I finally got to stay in and relax.
- If the price was good and the quality excellent, I might consider buying a designer dress.
- Renewable energy resources, like wind, solar, and geothermal, will be the answers to Earth's energy problems.
- With a blood-curdling scream and claws outstretched, the eagle went after the rabbit.
- The beach, with white sand, crystal clear water, and palm trees, is a favorite hangout for the locals.
- Now, after years of research and many modifications, here is the latest model of out hybrid.
- The gazelle, peacefully drinking and unaware of any danger, was soon the target of the lioness.
- With a beautiful set and a pyrotechnic display, the act was sure to please.
- Proper maintenance, like checking tire pressure, changing the oil and getting tune-ups, will ensure the best gas mileage for your car.
- Considering the attentiveness, friendliness and speed of service, this waiter will definitely be getting a good tip.
- Spring, with new buds popping out, flowers blooming, and mild temperatures, is my favorite season.
- Whether it was peer pressure or her own idea, Mary tried out for the glee club and made it.
- In spite of losing one ship and weathering a storm, Columbus made it back to Spain.
- By the smell of barbequing and the fireworks in the sky, I knew it was Independence Day.
- After combing through the ad for jobs and sending out hundreds of resumes, Steve finally got his dream job.
- Severe weather systems and the melting of the polar ice caps are both signs of climate change.
- Because they are independent, take care of themselves, and purr, I prefer cats over dogs.
Here are examples of periodic sentences from literature:
- "To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, that is genius." - Ralph Waldo Emerson in Self-Reliance
- "In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul." - Frank Herbert in Dune
"Out of the bosom of the Air,
Out of the cloud-folds of her garment shaken,
Over the woodlands brown and bare,
Over the harvest-fields forsaken,
Silent and soft, and slow,
Descends the snow." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in Snowflakes
- "Halfway between West Egg and New York City sprawls a desolate plain, a gray valley where New York's ashes are dumped" - Scott Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby
- "Unprovided with original learning, uninformed in the habits of thinking, unskilled in the arts of composition, I resolved -- to write a book." - Edward Gibbon in Memoirs of My Life
The complex periodic sentence is typically used in more formal sentence construction; so, its usage is not as common today in verbal or written communication. Today this climatic style is most often seen in literature.