- The definition of lonesome is a feeling of being alone and lonely, or a remote place where there are few visitors.
- When all of your friends have left and you are feeling sad and alone, this is an example of a time when you would be described as lonesome.
- A remote part of a tiny town with few people around would be an example of a place described as lonesome.
lonesome definition by Webster's New World
- having or causing a lonely feeling
- unfrequented; desolate
Informal self: all by my lonesome
lonesome definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Dejected because of a lack of companionship. See Synonyms at alone.b. Producing such dejection: a lonesome hour at the bar.
- Deserted; unfrequented: a lonesome valley.
- Solitary; lone: a lonesome pine.
Self: He ate the meal all by his lonesome.
- loneˈsome·ly adverb
- loneˈsome·ness noun