- The definition of isolated is a person who is alone and who has minimal contact with others, or a place that is remote and far away from other people.
- An example of isolated is an old hermit.
- An example of isolated is a cabin deep in the woods.
isolated definition by Webster's New World
- set apart; separate; solitary: an isolated lighthouse
- not occurring or happening regularly or frequently; rare: an isolated instance of violence
isolated definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: From French isolé, from Italian isolato, from Latin īnsulātus, made into an island, from īnsula, island.
Variant of isolate
- to set apart from others; place alone
- Chem. to separate (an element or compound) in pure form from substances with which it is combined or mixed
- Med. to place (a patient) apart from others to prevent the spread of infection
- Microbiol. to grow a pure culture of (a microbe), usually as individual colonies on a solid medium
Origin: back-formation ; from isolated ; from Italian isolato, past participle of isolare, to isolate ; from isola ; from Classical Latin insula, island: see isle
- a person or group that is set apart
- Psychol., Sociology a person who is separated from normal social activity, as through choice, rejection, psychological problems, etc.