- An example of isolated is an old hermit.
- An example of isolated is a cabin deep in the woods.
The definition of isolated is a person who is alone and who has minimal contact with others, or a place that is remote and far away from other people.
- set apart; separate; solitary: an isolated lighthouse
- having little or no social contact
- having little in common with one's associates, family, etc.
- not occurring or happening regularly or frequently; rare: an isolated instance of violence
Origin of isolated; from Italian isolato, past participle of isolare, to set apart, isolate ; from isola, island ; from Classical Latin insula: see isle
- Far from others or difficult to get to; remote: an isolated farmhouse.
- Occasional or rare: Reporters in the field observed isolated instances of rebellion.
- Characterized by little social contact: leading an isolated life.
Origin of isolatedFrom French isolé, from Italian isolato, from Latin &imacron;nsul&amacron;tus, made into an island, from &imacron;nsula, island.
(comparative more isolated, superlative most isolated)
- simple past tense and past participle of isolate