1. An example of a hun is a destructive soldier.2. An example of hun is what a man may call his wife.
- a member of a warlike Asian people that, led by Attila and others, invaded E and central Europe in the 4th and 5th cent.
- any savage or destructive person; vandal: term of contempt applied to German soldiers, esp. in WWI
Origin of HunOld English Hune ; from Late Latin Hunni (pl.), probably ; from origin, originally local name from source Chinese Hiong-nu, Han
- A member of a group of Central Asian nomadic pastoralist peoples who invaded Europe in the fourth and fifth centuries AD and were defeated in 455.
- often hun A barbarous or destructive person.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a German, especially a German soldier in World War I.
Origin of HunFrom Late Latin Hunn&imacron;, the Huns, from Turki Huny&udie;.
- A member of a nomadic tribe, the Huns, most likely of Turkic origin, which invaded Europe in the fourth century from Central Asia.
- (figuratively) a vandal, a barbarian, an uncivilized destructive person
- (slang, derogatory, UK) A German (popular in the media since World War I)
- (slang, derogatory, UK, Ireland) A Protestant.
From Late Latin Hunnus, apparently ultimately from Turkic Hun-yü, the name of a tribe (they were known in China as (Hsiungnu)).