transitive verb-·lat·ed, -·lat·ing
- to set apart from others; place alone
- Chem. to separate (an element or compound) in pure form from substances with which it is combined or mixed
- Med. to place or keep (a patient) apart from others to prevent the spread of infection
- Microbiol. to grow a pure culture of (a microbe), usually as individual colonies on a solid medium
Origin of isolateback-formation from isolated
- a person or group that is set apart
- a person who is separated from normal social activity, as through choice, rejection, psychological problems, etc.