- Include is defined as to contain, enclose or consider as part of a whole.
- An example of include is adding an email address to a party invitation for RSVPs.
- An example of include is to invite someone to join the group on a planned event.
transitive verbincluded, including
- to shut up or in; enclose
- to have as part of a whole; contain; comprise: the cost includes taxes
- to consider as part of a whole; take into account; put in a total, category, etc.: to be included as a candidate
Origin of includeMiddle English includen ; from Classical Latin includere ; from in-, in + claudere, to shut, close
transitive verbin·clud·ed, in·clud·ing, in·cludes
- To contain or take in as a part, element, or member.
- To consider as part of or allow into a group or class: thanked the host for including us.
Origin of includeMiddle English includen, from Latin inclūdere, to enclose : in-, in; see in–2 + claudere, to close.
- in·clud′a·ble, in·clud′i·ble
(third-person singular simple present includes, present participle including, simple past and past participle included)
- To bring into a group, class, set, or total as a (new) part or member.
- I will purchase the vacation package if you will include car rental.
- To contain, as parts of a whole; to comprehend.
- The vacation package includes car rental.
- Does this volume of Shakespeare include his sonnets?
- I was included in the invitation to the family gathering.
- up to and including page twenty-five
- (computing) A piece of source code or other content that is dynamically retrieved for inclusion in another item.
(1420) From Latin includere (“to shut in, enclose, insert”), from in- (“in”) + claudere (“to shut”).
include - Computer Definition
A statement in a program that directs the compiler or interpreter to process another file of code at that point. An include capability (often with a pound sign: "#include") allows libraries of predefined code to be combined into one program. Ada compilers use a "with" statement instead of include. See header file. See also server-side include.