- The definition of comprehend means to understand the meaning or to include someone or something as a part.
- Knowing what someone is talking about is an example of to comprehend.
- Adding extra information to a report is an example of to comprehend.
comprehend definition by Webster's New World
- to grasp mentally; understand
- to include; take in; comprise
Origin: Middle English comprehenden ; from Classical Latin comprehendere ; from com-, with plush prehendere, to catch hold of, seize: see prehensile
comprehend definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb com·pre·hend·ed, com·pre·hend·ing, com·pre·hends
- To take in the meaning, nature, or importance of; grasp. See Synonyms at apprehend.
- To take in as a part; include. See Synonyms at include.
Origin: Middle English comprehenden, from Latin comprehendere : com-, com- + prehendere, to grasp; see ghend- in Indo-European roots.
- comˌpre·hendˈi·ble adjective
- comˌpre·hendˈing·ly adverb