comprehend[käm′prē hend′, -pri-]
- The definition of comprehend means to understand the meaning or to include someone or something as a part.
- Knowing what someone is talking about is an example of to comprehend.
- Adding extra information to a report is an example of to comprehend.
- to grasp mentally; understand
- to include; take in; comprise
Origin of comprehendMiddle English comprehenden ; from Classical Latin comprehendere ; from com-, with + prehendere, to catch hold of, seize: see prehensile
transitive verbcom·pre·hend·ed, com·pre·hend·ing, com·pre·hends
- To take in the meaning, nature, or importance of; grasp. See Synonyms at understand.
- To have as part of something larger; encompass or include. See Synonyms at include.
Origin of comprehendMiddle English comprehenden, from Latin comprehendere : com-, com- + prehendere, to grasp; see ghend- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present comprehends, present participle comprehending, simple past and past participle comprehended)
From Latin comprehendere (“to grasp”), from the prefix com-, + prehendere (“to seize”).