Ken is defined as the range of what you know.
An example of ken is your knowledge of things from cooking to baseball statistics.
- Scot. to know
- Archaic to see; look at; descry
- Now Chiefly Dial. to recognize
Origin of kenMiddle English kennen ; from Old English cennan, literally , to cause to know ; from an unverified form kannjan ; from base of can, akin to German kennen, Old Norse kenna, to know
Scot. to know (of or about)
- Rare range of vision
- mental perception; range of knowledge: that is beyond my ken
Origin of ken< the v.
- Perception; understanding: complex issues well beyond our ken.
- a. Range of vision.b. View; sight.
verbkenned or kent , ken·ning, kens Scots
- To know (a person or thing).
- To recognize.
To have knowledge or an understanding.
Origin of kenFrom Middle English kennen (influenced by Old Norse kenna, to know), from Old English cennan, to declare; see gn&omacron;- in Indo-European roots.