- Ken is defined as the range of what you know.
An example of ken is your knowledge of things from cooking to baseball statistics.
- Scot. to know
- Archaic to see; look at; descry
- Now Chiefly Dial. to recognize
Origin: Middle English kennen from Old English cennan, literally , to cause to know from an unverified form kannjan from base of can, akin to German kennen, Old Norse kenna, to know
- Rare range of vision
- mental perception; range of knowledge: that is beyond my ken
Origin: contr. < kenning
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Perception; understanding: complex issues well beyond our ken.
- a. Range of vision.b. View; sight.
- To know (a person or thing).
- To recognize.
Origin: From Middle English kennen (influenced by Old Norse kenna, to know), from Old English cennan, to declare; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.