- Encompass is defined as surround or include.
If a city is entirely within a county, this is an example of when the county encompasses the city.
encompass definition by Webster's New World
- to shut in all around; surround; encircle
- to contain; include
- to bring about; achieve; contrive: to encompass its destruction
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- encompassment noun
encompass definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb en·com·passed, en·com·pass·ing, en·com·pass·es
- To form a circle or ring around; surround. See Synonyms at surround.
- To enclose; envelop.
- To constitute or include: a survey that encompassed a wide range of participants.
- To accomplish; achieve.
- en·comˈpass·ment noun