The definition of isolation is the state of being alone or away from others.
An example of isolation is a prisoner in solitary confinement.
an isolating or being isolated
Origin of isolationFrench
- The act of isolating: ordered the isolation of the sick patients.
- The quality or condition of being isolated: isolation on a desert island.
(countable and uncountable, plural isolations)
- (chiefly uncountable) The state of being isolated, detached, or separated.
- The act of isolating.
- (diplomacy, of a country) The state of not having diplomatic relations with other countries (either with most or all other countries, or with specified other countries).
- (chemistry) The obtaining of an element from one of its compounds, or of a compound from a mixture
- (medicine) The separation of a patient, suffering from a contagious disease, from contact with others
- (computing) a database property that determines when and how changes made in one transaction are visible to other concurrent transactions
 From French isolation.