- Insularity is defined as isolationism or being interested only in your own culture, circumstances or ideas.
When a culture refuses to learn about or acknowledge anyone outside of their own tight-knit and single-minded group, this is an example of insularity.
Variant of insular
- of, or having the form of, an island
- living or situated on an island
- like an island; detached; isolated
- of, like, or characteristic of islanders, esp. when regarded as narrow-minded, illiberal, or provincial
- characterized by isolated spots
- of the islets of Langerhans or other islands of tissue
Origin: Classical Latin insularis ; from insula, island: see isle