- The definition of integrate is to combine two or more things to create one new whole or to intermix a minority population with a majority one.
- An example of integrate is when you combine two different solutions to a problem to create one better solution.
- An example of integrate is when you create a cohesive plan for education by mixing different educational styles.
- An example of integrate is when affirmative action works to achieve more minorities in the workplace.
- to make whole or complete by adding or bringing together parts
- to put or bring (parts) together into a whole; unify
- to give or indicate the whole, sum, or total of
- to remove the legal and social barriers imposing segregation upon (racial groups) so as to permit free and equal association
- to abolish segregation in; desegregate (a school, neighborhood, etc.)
- to calculate the integral or integrals of (a function, equation, etc.)
- to perform the process of integration upon
- Psychol. to cause to undergo integration
Origin: from Classical Latin integratus, past participle of integrare, to make whole, renew from integer: see integer
- integrative adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb inte·grat·ed, inte·grat·ing, inte·grates verb, transitive
- To make into a whole by bringing all parts together; unify.
- a. To join with something else; unite.b. To make part of a larger unit: integrated the new procedures into the work routine.
- a. To open to people of all races or ethnic groups without restriction; desegregate.b. To admit (a racial or ethnic group) to equal membership in an institution or society.
- Mathematics a. To calculate the integral of.b. To perform integration on.
- Psychology To bring about the integration of (personality traits).
Origin: From Middle English, intact, from Latin integrātus, past participle of integrāre, to make whole, from integer, complete; see tag- in Indo-European roots.
integrate - Business Definition
- To open an entity to individuals of all races and ethnic groups.
- To combine parts, units, or activities into a whole. For example, a company may attempt to improve efficiency and communications by integrating the front- and back-office computer network. See also backward integration, forward integration, vertical merger.
integrate - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.